Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Questions about Heaven

As I was putting Daniel to bed Sunday night, he started to ask me some questions about death and where we go after we die. We've had this conversation many times before. Daniel has always been a deep thinker when it comes to things like this. A simple answer like, "We go to heaven," is not enough to satisfy his curiosity. He wants to know where Heaven is, how do we get there, what does it look like, can we take our toys with us, and so on. So, we talked about it and I explained to him that Heaven is a wonderful place and that we will be very happy there. Then he said to me, "Well, I want to stay on Earth with you! Is Heaven on Earth?" I told him not to worry about where Heaven is because his family will be there with him and that he will be safe and happy.

That seemed to calm his fears, but just as I was about to shut his door his mind began to race again. "But where are the dinosaurs? They died already!! Are they in Heaven with us?" Big tears started to swell up in his eyes, "I don't want to be with the dinosaurs because they'll eat me!!" So, I went back into his room and talked to him some more. I explained that the dinosaurs will probably be in Heaven since God created them, but that they will live in animal heaven (I had no idea what to say). I also told him that the dinosaurs will not eat meat anymore once they live in Heaven. "Well, what will they eat?" This went on for quite a while until I finally reassured him that he was safe and that Heavenly Father will not let the dinosaurs eat him when he goes to heaven.

I'm grateful that Daniel wants to understand more about spiritual things and feels comfortable coming to me with his fears. He thinks so much and asks me so many questions, that I often struggle with finding an answer that satisfies him. I guess this is just the beginning and many harder questions are still to come.

4 comments:

TuttleHuddle said...

Daniel seems to be quite the clever little boy! You can always read him Isaiah 11:6 or 2 Nephi 21:6 if he has any more fears about scary creatures in heaven. Caleb has just now started with a fear of dinosaurs and monsters. I appreciate reading about how you handle Daniel's questions and fears.

Real Life Roberts said...

I love it...Daniel is so BRIGHT! Wow! He takes after his parents so well! My advice is don't sugar coat it...tell him straight out and then if it seems too hard to understand he'll either ask more or leave it alone until he's ready... that's my plan.

Lauren said...

Thank you Kristen and Heidi for the advice. I struggle with telling him the truth, but keeping it on his level and not overwhelming him. Both of your advice is great! Thanks also for the scriptures Kristen. I will sit down and read them tonight. Also, thanks for reading my blog. It's so nice to keep in touch with such great friends like you!

Lauren:)

Emily Black said...

your blog looks so cute Lauren... and you're so good about keeping it updated...way to go! I love reading about your family. They're such cute boys! (and this is probably old news, but I love the little guy's haircut- it does make him look older though!)

Haley's the exact same way with all the "heaven" talk. She could go on forever with her questions. Some days, it really wears me out!!