Saturday, April 5, 2008

Family Home Evening


Daniel and Andrew wanted to color pictures of the bad guys since they had swords and bows/arrows. These are their bad guy faces.

We had a really fun and successful FHE this week! (FYI, Family Home Evening is simply a night reserved once a week where a family comes together for a spiritual lesson and an activity that brings the family together). I am not the best at holding regular FHE, so I was proud of Roberto and I for working together as a team and making it happen. Roberto gave a lesson to the kids on obedience. He taught the kids the importance of following rules and why we have them. He also talked about just how we have rules in our home that we must obey, Heavenly Father also has his own rules for us to follow, The Commandments. Daniel and Andrew did really well listening and participating. I could tell they enjoyed being taught and that they understand much more spiritually than I give them credit.

Then, I came up with a game/system to get the boys to help out more around the house. I labeled many popsicle sticks with different chores and asked them to close their eyes and draw a stick. Whatever stick they draw, that is their chore to stay on top of for the day. The chores are simple, such as keeping the shoes put away, putting away clothes, or vacuuming. They saw this as a game, not chores, and were quickly asking for more.

Then, we watched one of the Living Scriptures DVD's about Samuel the Lamanite and colored an activity page from their website. Anyways, I know this is kind of lengthy, but having an evening like this together with your family, no matter what religion you are, is a great way to have spend quality time together.

1 comment:

G said...

I'm impressed at how involved your night was. We always do the bare minimum, but I guess at least we do it!