Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's been a while...

I have neglected this keyboard for almost two weeks and I really miss writing about myself! LOL!! Seriously, it makes no sense why someone would want to sit down at a computer after a long day with children and spend precious free hours writing about all the little things the kids did and said. Unless, you are the mother and those children are your pride and joy! That is why I do this. It gives me great satisfaction to record the small details of their lives. It is in those small details that memories are made. Anyways, here is an update on us.

Daniel with school friends, Corey and Bryce.

Daniel turned FIVE YEARS OLD February 20th. Daniel wanted to have his birthday party at his school so that he could celebrate with all his classmates. I'm all for the mess being made somewhere other than my home, so I thought it was a great idea. Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have from the party. I was so busy trying to feed everyone and make sure Andrew and Jacob did not wander off, that I could not take any pictures.
I made chocolate cupcakes at Daniel's request and provided other non-nourishing treats for the kids. I am not a baker, but I put alot of love into those cupcakes for my little boy. I was proud of them and excited for the kids to eat them. Can you believe that out of the twenty kids in his class, maybe three even touched their cupcake! Those three kids just licked the icing. All twenty of my precious cupcakes were dumped into the trashcan. I thought to myself, are they that bad? I've never seen a child turn away anything chocolate. The teacher informed me that the kids do this often with the other class parties. They'll eat the store-bought kind, but not the homemade ones. How sad, that children these days do not recognize the difference between homemade sugar and cheap, processed, imitation sugar. Oh well, I learned my lesson. The next school party I do, I'll be purchasing the cheap, processed, imitation Wal-Mart cupcakes that they like.

I just needed to vent. Back to Daniel's birthday party, after eating snacks, the kids went outside and took turns hitting a pinanta I brought. THEY LOVED IT!!! There are 13 boys and 7 girls in Daniel's class. I was worried that the pinanta would not hold up long enough for everyone to have a turn, but surprisingly it did. Each child had a turn hitting the pinata three times and many children had more than one turn. The thing would never break, so I let Daniel hit at it for a couple of minutes. It still would not budge, so we finally ripped it open and let the kids dash for the candy. All the children exclaimed that Daniel's was the best party ever. It made me happy to see Daniel happy. I think the pinata was the best part. Many of these kids had never seen one, so it was something new to them.

The following Saturday, we had a family party for Daniel at my parents' house. We kept things simple. My parents grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and we had a cake for him. He received alot of nice presents. He got his very first Transformer from Uncle Matt (and hopefully soon-to-be Aunt Ladena); a baseball bat and a sword from Aunt Marisa; another Transformer, some Hotwheels, and some summer clothes from Grandma Georgia; and some Fantastic Four playmen and a scooter from Mom and Dad. Daniel loved his presents. After the party, we all went outside and hit baseballs with his new bat. Everyone had a good time.

2 comments:

G said...

You're such a sweet mom. I would probably just not bring cupcakes next time. Or maybe just one homemade one for my kid - then see how they like INVISIBLE store bought cupcakes...

Glad Daniel had fun.

Real Life Roberts said...

I'm so glad to see another post besides the one about you THINKING you are the worst mom...
So it was nice to finally see a refreshed Lauren' and family's life! The schools here will not let us bring homeade food. Everything brought in has to be store bought! Crazy...