March the 11th was a very nerve racking day. It was also one of the most special days for me. It began at 3:45 AM when I woke up and could not go back to sleep because of the anticipation. When the 5:45 AM alarm rang, my wife and I got up and began our day. We dressed up to go to an interview that would determine whether or not citizenship would be granted. Few people know how difficult the road to citizenship is; so, I was ready to put this whole process behind my life(our lives).
The interviewer was a jerk, as expected--disrespectful, rude, and demeaning towards me. But that is beside the point: it was expected.
After the interview and a test on American civics and history, I was told that an oath ceremony would take please that day, and that I was invited.
I unsuccessfully tried to reach Lauren on the phone; but Lauren had left IKEA, had lost her cell phone in the store, and was lost in downtown Atlanta. I thought she would miss one of the most important moments in my life. After talking with all the security people about a "lost wife" who may show up for my ceremony. The security people made it their job to look for my wife in case she showed up.
She made it! Lauren became quite popular at the federal building: she was referred by many employees as "the lost wife" who almost missed his husband's "take of Oath."
In the middle of the drama, I found a companion with whom to speak: God. Before Lauren showed up late, I had made my peace with the fact that God would be my companion and friend with whom I was going to share this moment.
As I repeated the oath, tears started to flow from my eyes. I was touched in a way that I cannot describe with words. The feeling was so overwhelming that I cried. I do not remember the last time I cried because I never cry.
After the oath, a message from our current U.S. president was shown. He said that I was as much of a citizen as any other American whose parents immigrated generations ago. I could not hold my tears.
Driving home was a happy ride; a long five hour ride; but a peaceful and rejoicing one.
Now, I can sing "I am glad to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..." You know the song.
love,
Roberto Castro
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
congratulations Roberto! It helps put in perspective the blessings of citizenship and how we ( those of us that don't have to work for it like you did) take it for granted.
Congratulations! I know it's been a long hard road for you guys. I'm so happy for you. Thanks also for touching my heart and reminding me how much this country means to me.
Yeah! I remember hearing about all the steps to become a citizen while I was at BYU. What a long wait, but I am so excited for you! Thanks for the reminder about the blessings we enjoy by being citizens.
That is an amazing accomplishment! FINNALLY COMPLETED! We are so happy for you Roberto...it's about time! Great job perservering! I loved the story...one you'll never forget!
Roberto,
You are so inspiring. I too, am "glad to be an American!" I am so glad Lauren made it. What a wonderful experience to share together. Thanks for the sharing your story!
Post a Comment