I want to begin posting a short quote, thought, story, or scripture that inspires me on a regular basis. I want to do this so that whenever I, or someone else, is having a hard day, we can turn to these words for strength and encouragement.
To begin my first post of this nature, I spent about thirty minutes on http://www.lds.org/ searching for a simple poem about motherhood that I remembered hearing in General Conference. I did not remember the exact lines, when it was said, or who gave the talk, so it was difficult to find. It was given in October Conference 2006 by President Hinkley.
You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky.
(“To My Child,” quoted in Charles L. Wallis, ed., The Treasure Chest [1965], 54)
I love the simplicity of this poem. It is exactly how I feel about my own children. They are my gems, my gold, my pearls. They are the greatest gift I have ever received and they are the most beautiful creation I have ever witnessed. What a wonderful world we would live in if all mothers and fathers saw this beauty and worth present in their own children.
Many of you are mothers. You are responsible for the nurture and upbringing of your children. When you are old and your hair turns white, you will not ask about the fancy clothes you once wore, the cars you drove, or the large house in which you lived. Your burning question will be, “How have my children turned out?”
This is wonderful advice from our former prophet. I hope that when I am old and grey I can answer this question with a smile on my face and peace in my heart that I did my very best.
Friday, May 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
so sweet lauren. thank you!
kristi
Post a Comment