Just a regular, everyday mess at the Castro's!

If I could pick three words to describe an average day in my home, they would be chaotic, draining, and unpredictable. Don't get me wrong, my boys are loads of fun and provide cheap entertainment on a regular basis. However, they also leave a path of destruction wherever they go. They are like three little tornadoes zipping through the halls from sun-up till sun-down!
I may sound dramatic, but it's so true! Things have turned worse since Daniel has been out of school. Andrew and Jacob alone are pretty calm children. When Daniel is home, they turn into different children. Daniel's personality has a way of bringing out their wild side. He is so much like his ADD father, whom I love dearly, but they are two of a kind!
Anyways, the point of my post is to vent my frustrations to the world (all 2 or 3 of you reading out there) with regards to housework and the tedious chores moms have to do on a daily basis. At this moment, my home is falling apart. Literally! Where can I begin....
- there are dried and stuck on chunks of cereal and rice all over the dining room floor (remnants of breakfast and lunch). Jacob will attempt to eat these tomorrow morning if they are not cleaned tonight.
- there are puddles of water on the kitchen floor from Andrew's fascination with the water dispenser on the fridge.
- miniature Lego blocks can be found in every corner and room of the house, including the toilet.
- the play room floor is currently littered with game and puzzle pieces that have been mixed up and have no home.
- the children are sleeping on blankets because their sheets are currently in the process of being changed (this process has been going on for about 6 days now).
- the dishes and laundry are annoyingly always waiting for me and will not go away.
- my vacuum cleaner is currently not working due to being clogged with wood chips (do not ask).
- my toilets, well, I'm scared to have them swabbed for bacteria analysis. My little boys are not the best at aiming the toiletbowl.
- my bathroom floor is covered with q-tips, toilet paper, and an entire package of unwound dental floss (once again, don't ask).
- things are constantly missing, like the can opener, shoes, toothbrushes, underwear, towels, the remote control, telephones, keys, my purse! What would it be like to put your hand on something when you need it?
I love being a mom, it is the most fun and rewarding thing I have ever done. It's just all the other junk that moms have to deal with that makes the job a downer sometimes. I have learned to just let the kids be kids and realize there is a time and season for everything. This is just not my time and season to have a clean, well-decorated home. The kids are more important and it's best to save my time, energy, and sanity for them instead of the house. But, every few weeks or so, I hit my breaking point where I just can't handle the mess anymore and I become a witchy woman. I want to do a better job of teaching my kids responsibility and the meaning of work. They are old enough to pitch in, but it's so difficult for me to put together a plan and stick to it. In the end, I just end up picking up everything and doing everything. What lesson are they learning form this? Mom is the maid!
There is no moral to the post, other than housework sucks! Excuse my dirty mouth! I accept the award for the messiest and most unorganized home and declare that it's okay! I will survive and I know that this is just part of being a mom of small children, especially boys! So, I'll just go back to my catalogs and magazines and dream of the day when my home may look like a home. In the end, those are just dreams, not reality. A home is a place where people live, so of course, it will look lived in. Magazines and catalogs are not real! They do not showcase real women or real homes! What do you think?




8 comments:
I don't think you're a slob - rather instead I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose house looks like that. Being a mom is great. Being the housekeeper too isn't. It's so hard to separate the two in my head sometimes...
I have a friend whose house always looks perfect and I was all down on myself once for my messy house and she told me that she liked that my house always felt like a lived in home. She may have just been being nice, but I hope it's at least a little bit true. I hold on to that.
Thank you again for helping me really believe I'm not the only one!
Lauren, you are so funny! I know all of us mothers that read this can relate. It helps to know that you struggle in the same areas I do. You have a great attitude. You're right! your kids come first, you can teach them at a young age to help you clean up and make it fun. have a time every day set aside where you turn on music and make it a family affair? Jocelyn usually doesn't want to help, but if I make it a game or competition she will! Also, I will just send her to her room or start threatening to take her favorite toys that are laying around. I've tried to teach us to pick up right after we use something. When we come in shoes have to go right in the closet, or else we don't do anything else fun until it's done. I know we are all different in our parenting, but maybe some of these things will work for you. I love love and logic principles and the book. You are a great mom and your kids look like they are having so much fun! If Daniel takes the lead the other little ones will learn (that will also help if he's really ADD) Jaden is that way and he loves a job, responsibility, direction and structure. he likes knowing he 's and example and a hero to the other kids. I'm sorry I've gone on so long. I understand your frustrations, they sound very familiar. When all else fails, prayer for order and direction for where in the world to begin helps too! Good luck, I know you'll do the right thing!
Oh Lauren, you are the best!! Thank you so much for posting about something that so many of us try to hide behind. We want everyone to think our home is cute, clean, and clutter-free, but reality bites! I thought I did pretty well with one child, but then came #2 and it all went down hill and I only have 1 boy and a non-mobile baby!!
That time and season thing is what I tell myself and it does help. Blog venting seems to be another great way to get rid of frustrations. Besides, as my husband says, kids never remember if their house was a mess, they just remember the fun times they had with their parents. I know that if I personally spend more time than the basics, as you call them, on homecare, then I am not spending the time with my children that they so treasure.
It's hard for me, as I am such a control freak, but I think learning to live with a mess and playing with my children will help me be a better person in the long run. Afterall, our children are not with us that long in the big scheme of things (as Elder Ballard said, only a 1/4 of our earthly life). I think you're doing a great job! Look at what smart, fun, happy children you have!
By the way, your wood floors look beautiful!!!
I love it! Lauren you make me feel like I'm normal! Hey isn't it all about doing your best in the moment with a long term perspective! That's all...Jacob wont get sick (probably) if he eats the crumbs off the floor...just love him...and you show it so well! You are a great mother!
How refreshing to hear that I'm normal. You are such a great mama, Lauren! They look like very happy children. Stop in at my place any day and see crumbs, clutter, and clothes, too. It's just the phase of life we happen to be in, and personally, I'm not looking forward to the day when my babies are grown up. The less I care about the mess and the more I treasure the moments, the happier I am.
Wow, I have five comments! It seems this post helped others realize they were normal! I wrote this hoping that others would think I am normal, how great is that?! I love that all of us moms of small children encourage and uplift each other through blogging. Thanks everyone for writing to me your kind words and making my days better! I love you all!
Lauren
Lauren! I want you to know that I really think you are amazing! Being a mom is hard work, and I know you are a good one! Thank you for your example!
Oh Lauren, we're all in the same club... and we're all GREAT mommies!!! I'd love for my house to be neat and tidy (and I cling to the hope that one day it will be!) but that time isn't now. Now is the time for peanut butter kisses, t.p. races down the hallway, packing foam "snow blizzards", and "Daddy started it" water fights at bathtime! Enjoy these precious moments! Love ya!
Post a Comment